Monday, June 2, 2008

Pet Peeve #1


When I was driving to the post office to send off a box to Aaron after work today, I was reminded of one of my pet peeves. When I was pulling out of the parking lot, I was nice enough to not jet in front of a pickup truck about a quarter of a block down from me. I let him go by, then pulled out behind him. We both turned left at the second intersection, and as it usually does, my blinker clicked off. His didn’t. Blink, blink, blink. It bugs me. I don’t know why, but it does.

After a few blocks of driving behind him, and after being slightly annoyed the whole time, I reasoned to myself that whenever he had to turn the next time he would realize that his blinker was on. Nope. For some reason, that damn thing would not turn off. I was behind him for a couple of turns, but there it still was, blinking. “I’m gonna turn left, I’m gonna turn left, I’m gonna turn left… JUST KIDDING!” It seemed like it was teasing me. Like it knew that it was one of my pet peeves and was just there rubbing it in my face. In fact, when we were in high school, my best friend Bonnie and I actually bought mini white boards and kept them in our cars so that if we ever came across a car on the highway (or anywhere else for that matter) whose blinker was blinking unnecessarily, we could write “BLINKER” on the board and hold it up to the window as we drove by them. Just our little contribution to the sanity of the world.

So, I was finally relieved when I made a right turn towards the post office and the truck actually finally turned left, hopefully towards a mechanic who can fix his damn blinker. Even though I was going the opposite direction, I couldn’t help looking in my rear view mirror to see if it had stopped now that I wasn’t behind it to be annoyed. Blink, blink, blink. Ugh. I pulled up to the post office, happy to be away from the irksome blinker. I gathered the box and the customs form up, lugged it out of the car, and looked up. The line was out the door. But that’s a pet peeve for another day.

Oh, and by the way, Aaron spotted an IED on the way from the FOB to the COP today, and had to wait for hours on end for people (I’m guessing EOD) to come check it out. And I thought I had it bad.

No comments:

Why we wait.