Friday, June 6, 2008

Bed of Bloody Roses


Today I learned about blood. I'm not talking about platelets and white blood cells and red blood cells - I'm talking about arterial spray, directionality of blood stains, voids, high, medium, and low velocity spatter, cast-off patterns from bloody instruments such as machetes, baseball bats, and hammers. I studied the differences in a blood stain that has been dropped from 3 inches versus 6 inches versus 1 foot versus 3 feet versus 6 feet versus 8 feet. I saw slide shows of crime scenes of homicides with unidentifiable bodies, only to scour it for inconsistent marks such as wipes, transfers, timeline issues, and vertical bloodstains. And I liked it. Call me sick, call me twisted, call me whatever you'd like, but I liked it. I was learning how to put the pieces together, and I got a step closer to having the whole picture.

I have been torn up lately about what I really, truly want to do with my life; I am interested and curious about so many completely different things that it's been very difficult to just pick one and move forward. But now, I think I've figured it out. I just need to knuckle down, get dirty (or bloody), focus, and work hard. Crime Scene Investigation is really what I'm good at, and it's what I enjoy. So there.

I just turned the TV on, and on came a marathon of Jesse Palmer's season of The Bachelor. He was bringing one of the many wannabe blushing brides into a "fantasy suite" with him, which was complete with a trail of rose petals leading to a rose petal covered bed. At first glance, I saw a trail of blood leading to a bloody bed... I guess I have chosen the right profession, but I think I need to say a sorry to my husband, who now needs to work a little bit harder to romance me, now that I've started to see blood in rose petals.

No comments:

Why we wait.