You Know You Have Been in Iraq Too Long When...
- You start humming with the Arabic song playing on the radio on the shuttle bus
- You start picturing your wife in traditional Arab dress
- You drink the water from the tap because you want to drop 20 pounds in two weeks
- Your idea of a fun Thursday night is to go to the Palace pool to watch the State Department folks get drunk, naked and try to pick each other up
- You make the new guy show you his count down timer just to make you feel better about your time you have left in country.
- You forget there are other colors than brown that can be found in places other than power point slides
- When you call home and your kids ask "Who is this?"
- You find it completely acceptable to pick your nose while talking to a complete stranger or member of the opposite sex
- You go on R&R, you duct tape your child to the roof of your car, hand him a pellet rifle, and assign him a sector of fire for the ride to The Olive Garden
- During the BUA, "DIV asked MNSTC-I for the FRAGO that MNC-I was supposed to publish, but couldn't because MNF-I hadn't weighed in, since they were too inundated with MOD and MOI wargaming the JCC's within the ISF to square us away!" is a valid comment and generates no questions.
- You're in the Air Force, and you're on the plane home because an Air Force tour is too short to have been a long Iraq tour. Ignore this, you won't get it.
Sorry to those who might be offended by that last one, but I have to admit it kind of struck a chord with me. If Aaron were Air Force (or Marines or Navy for that matter), chances are that he would either be home by now or be coming home soon. Instead, we get to wait as long as it takes to create a human life. Ugh. Anyways, I like the list. Along with the other goodies in the well traveled box, it lifted my spirits and made me smile. That's all I can ask for.